Monday, December 9, 2013

A Slice Of Home

This past weekend Andy and I were lucky enough to have my brother +John Grupa spend the weekend with us in Charleston. I was pretty excited to share the city with him and it ended up being warmer than it usually is in Charleston this time of year. Temperatures were in the mid to high 70's. I took Friday off and John and I headed downtown for some breakfast and a Civil War walking tour.

We stopped at Hominy Grill and John got his first taste of Shrimp & Grits. Welcome to the Lowcountry! These were some of the better shrimp and grits I've had since being here and it wasn't an overwhelmingly large portion so we didn't leave feeling stuffed.



Hominy also has some delicious homemade biscuits and raspberry jam. I've determined that it's almost nearly impossible for me to pass up a good biscuit, topped with melted butter and jam. I love biscuits!


Done with breakfast, we headed over to the historic district for our tour. Our tour guide had a lot of great information to share. Walking down the streets you will see large cement blocks in front of houses that were used as steps for people exiting their carriages and boot scrappers to the sides of the front doors that people used before entering the house. Seeing these things you begin to imagine what life would have been like back then, a bit different...



After walking around for 3+ hours we definitely built up an appetite. I decided I would take John over to Sullivan's Island for a late lunch and the beach. We stopped at Poe's Tavern, which is home to one of my favorite burgers, The Sleeper. Roasted Garlic Blue Cheese Spread and Buffalo Fried Shrimp. Andy gives me a hard time because I get this every time we go here, but I can't help it.


We took a quick walk on the beach, John dipped his feet in the ocean and we headed home to re-group before heading out for the night. Walking and eating sure does take it out of you :)








No comments:

Post a Comment