Tuesday, December 10, 2013

A Few Breweries...

The rest of the weekend with John can be summed up in a few words. Food, beer, football and Breaking Bad. Before I get into the remaining details of our weekend I wanted to address the fact that most of my posts have revolved around food. This isn't supposed to be a food blog, but a lot of the things we choose to do involve eating! I apologize if anyone is offended by the overwhelming amount of food we eat, but Andy and I love food! I think if one of us didn't love food as much as the other person we would have problem. Seriously.

So, with that in mind, Saturday, we enjoyed breakfast at the Farmer's Market. I tried the Thurman Murman Roti Roll (creole mac n' cheese, short rib and kimchi), John got my favorite crepe, the Monte Cristo and Andy picked duck tacos. All three solid choices.



Oh, I forgot, before the farmer's market we made a pit stop at Glazed to share a few donuts.  This was a glazed pistachio-orange.     


Now, not exactly sure what to do with the rest of the day we thought we would check out Westbrook Brewery. Andy has been wanting to go here for a while and it's conveniently located about five minutes from our apartment.

The brewery is only about three years old. It wasn't our favorite brewery, the building is brand new so it felt a bit sterile, unlike most breweries that have a bit of character. None the less, we enjoyed the beer!


After finishing up we thought it would be a good idea to check out another brewery so we headed north to Holy City Brewery. Andy and I had been here once before for Bendy Brewski, yoga followed by beer tasting. This place was more up our alley :)


To finish our day of over-indulging we stopped at what I think is one of the best pizza places in the city, EVO Pizza. Granted, this is the only pizza I've eaten in Charleston, I have also heard this from several other people. Before I talk about the pizza, an honorable mention goes to the snack plate we started with. Yes, there was some ham and pimento cheese, but this thing was packed with an array of pickled vegetables. Brussel sprouts, cauliflower, okra (a Charleston staple), onions, green tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers and pickles! Delicious.


Now, the star of the show, in my mind, is the Pistachio Pesto pizza. Aside from the awesome crust and the variety of cheeses, the pizza is topped with a pistachio pesto oil that is unlike anything I have ever tasted making this pizza the bomb dot com. Highly recommended.


After pizza we decided it was probably a good idea to head home. Once home I immediately face planted onto the queen air mattress we had blown up in the living room for John to sleep on. I don't think I moved for the next few hours while John and Andy watched football.

Sunday, we didn't leave the apartment and we were all completely okay with that. We slept in and woke up to cloudy skies and chilly temperatures. A perfect day to lounge. We ended up watching the entire last season of Breaking Bad. Well, Andy and I re-watched, John hadn't seen it. Not a bad Sunday. Now, for those of you who have not seen Breaking Bad, please stop reading this and start watching. It is quite possibly the best show ever.

I felt badly that we didn't venture out on my brother's last day, but I think we were all tired from a long weekend of being tourists. As his departure time approached, John backed up his bags and we headed to the airport. Only 12 more days until I get to see his lovely face again! Miss him already!





No comments:

Post a Comment